Luke 22:1-71

How do we deal with disappointment? The more I work with people, the more I realize that there are many disappointments along the way. Don't get me wrong, there are immeasurable joys and there is nothing more rewarding but there are definitely disappointments. I am sure that Christ was no stranger to these feelings by the content of this chapter. I don't have a nifty outline today, but here are some of my quick thoughts.

First of all, the people that Christ came to save were determined to find a way to kill Him. He was their rightful king and had left the glories of heaven to pay the price of their sin. I realize that His death was a part of the plan, but it still must have hurt to see the hatred of the religious leaders who should have know better.

Second, one of His chosen disciples, had decided to betray Him for some extra cash. Then he decided to do it with a kiss. Again, Christ knew it was coming, but I am sure that did not make it any easier.

Third, all of the disciples were arguing about who was the greatest of them. He had spent His entire ministry with them to try to show them that they needed to be servants. He was trying to build humility into their lives and they were here at the last supper exhibiting pride.

Forth, At the most critical moment of His anguish when He was crying out for help from God and asked them to pray with Him, they fell asleep. After all this time they still did not get it.

Finally, one of the disciples that was closest to Him denies Him three times even after being warned about this only hours earlier. It is one thing to be disappointed by your enemies, but quite another thing to be disappointed by your closest friends.

I am sure that my disappointments with people are very small in comparison to those which Christ faced. I am also very sure that I have been a source of great disappointment to Him myself. I am just so thankful that He is still rich in both patience and grace. May we follow His lead and extend that same grace and patience to those who disappoint us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 54:1-17

1 Timothy 2:11-15

1 Timothy 2:1-7