1 Corinthians 9:15-18

                                                         1 Corinthians 9:15-18

But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing these things to secure any such provision. For I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of my ground for boasting. For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward, but if not of my own will, I am still entrusted with a stewardship. What then is my reward? That in my preaching I may present the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel.

 

Preaching the Gospel is what God called Paul and calls all of us to do.  Like many things about the Christian life, it is both a privilege and a responsibility to preach the Gospel.  It should be a delight, but it is also a duty.  As we go through life God brings people into our paths.  They should both see Christ in us and hear about Christ from us.  God calls His children to be involved in the task of reaching the nations with the Gospel, so we are to be intentional about investing our lives in ways that will contribute to this mission.

 

IT IS AN HONOR TO PREACH THE GOSPEL: The fact that Paul was defending his apostleship to the church in Corinth and pointing out the things he was willing to give up as a minister was not to be taken as an attempt to change anything.  Paul was happy to give these things up for the cause of Christ and did not want that to change in any way.  He did not what there to be any doubt about his motives.  He wanted to make sure that the message of the Gospel would not be hindered in any way.  Any sacrifice made for the sake of the Gospel was an honor and reason for celebration, not regret.

 

IT IS A RESPONSIBILITY TO PREACH THE GOSPEL: Those of us who know the Gospel are under a responsibility to tell the Good News of the Gospel to others.  If we do not warn others of impending danger, we are being negligent.  If we do not tell others how they can gain eternal life in Christ, we are being irresponsible.  The knowledge of the Gospel is a privilege that leads to an important responsibility.  Paul, like all believers are under a constraint to tell others that Christ has died to pay the price for our sin and that we can be forgiven by placing our faith exclusively on Him.

 

IT IS A REWARD TO PREACH THE GOSPEL: Since preaching the Gospel is a responsibility, Paul points to the fact that his reward was to be able to preach the Gospel free of charge.  It is a joy to know and share the truth about Christ.  Preaching the Gospel is its own reward.  Paul refuses to have it be seen as merely another job to do.  The attitude with which we preach is important.

 

APPLICATION: We should not consider any sacrifices we might make to advance the Gospel as anything extraordinary.  We must recognize that we are under an important responsibility to let others know what we know about the Gospel.  We should rejoice and be honored for the privilege of telling others about Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 54:1-17

1 Timothy 2:11-15

1 Timothy 2:1-7