Romans 7:13-25

                                                         Romans 7:13-25

Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

The struggles we face in our flesh are constant and frustrating.  This is a far different picture than the previous chapter where sanctification came through our union with Christ in His death a resurrection.  However, the fallen world in which we live with our fallen bodies continues to face the struggle of sin in a real way.  It is important to be prepared for this reality.

SIN PREVENTS THE GOOD WE WANT: As believers there are many disciplines we know we should practice, many people we should love and serve and many ways we should make Christ known.  We know what is right and even want what is right but we struggle to do what is right.  This is the weakness of our flesh and ability to follow the commands of Scripture.  This should not take us by surprise.  Our flesh is weak and contaminated by sin.  It will always struggle to do good.

SIN PROMOTES THE EVIL WE DON’T WANT: As believers there are many practices that we don’t want to do.  We don’t want to give in to the lusts of the flesh, but we often do.  When this happens we feel guilty, weak and discouraged.  Our sinful flesh will always seek for that which the Word of God prohibits.  The world in which we live promotes this.  There is nothing good about our fleshly desires so they will always lead us down a path of sin and shame.  We must be prepared for this battle.

JESUS PROVIDES THE DELIVERANCE WE NEED: Not being able to do the good we say we want and doing the sin we say we don’t want is very frustrating.  God has a different and better plan for us.  He sent Christ to set us free from sin.  By faith we can be identifies with Christ and know that we are no longer under slavery to the sins of the flesh.  That is no longer our primary identity and He gives us the strength to serve Him faithfully and to be able to resist and flee from temptation.  Though we may fail from time to time, our eternal hope is a life that has been liberated from all the power of sin.

APPLICATION: Be prepared for the fight against the flesh.  Don’t be surprised by the battles we will face.  Don’t become discouraged our hopeless in our battle with sin.  Remember Christ has conquered sin and death and given us the ability to stand firm and the promise of freedom from sin forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 54:1-17

1 Timothy 2:11-15

1 Timothy 1:1-2