2 Corinthians 12:1-10

                                                                 2 Corinthians 12:1-10

I must go on boasting. Though there is nothing to be gained by it, I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord.  I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows.  And I know that this man was caught up into paradise—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows—and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter.  On behalf of this man I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses—though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth; but I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me.  So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited.  Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me.  But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. “Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

 

It seems strange to us that a man like Paul would need to defend himself before a church he planted or any church for that matter.  However, we must remember that Paul was dealing with a problematic church and that he was not the famous apostle that wrote much of the New Testament that we know him to be.  There were those who questioned his apostleship because he came to Christ after the resurrection and was not one of the twelve who followed Jesus.  Paul opens his heart concerning his experience and walk with God.

 

GREAT REVELATION: Paul was given the privilege of seeing Christ on the road to Damascus when he became a believer.  He also was taught directly by Christ while in the desert.  However, at some point he was given a special revelation of heaven.  We are not sure when this happened.  I would speculate that it might have been when he was stoned and left for dead, but that is truly speculation.  I find it interesting that Paul received this revelation and yet talks very little about it and gives us basically no details as to what he saw.  This is in stark contrast to those today who claim to have seen heaven in “near death experiences.”  Not every experience we have with the Lord needs to be public knowledge.

 

GREAT TRIBULATION: Paul also suffered greatly.  We know about all the persecution, beatings, imprisonments, shipwrecks, and suffering that is recorded in the book of Acts.  However, we do not know what Paul’s “thorn in the flesh” was.  He calls it a messenger from Satan and yet he understands that God is using it for divine purposes.  Paul sees this affliction as a means that God is using to keep him from pride.  Paul desperately wished to be free from this affliction, but God chooses not to heal him.  There is speculation that this was some sort of painful and unsightly eye disease, but we cannot affirm that for sure.  What we do know is that God is using this affliction caused by Satan for His purposes.  Relief is not always the will of God.

 

GREAT CONFIRMATION: The grace of God truly is sufficient to help us face every trial and tribulation that comes our way.  The Lord loves to show Himself strong in the face of our weaknesses.  God confirms to Paul that the affliction he is facing is not going to be taken away but that His strength will be available and manifest as a result of this suffering.  God’s grace does not always remove an affliction from us.  Many times, God’s grace simply gives us the strength to persevere in suffering.  It is far better to experience human weakness in the power of God than to be powerful apart from God.  

 

APPLICATION: Don’t seek for supernatural experiences from God for the purpose of boasting about them.  Salvation and sanctification through the forgiveness of our sins is certainly a supernatural work of God in our lives.  Understand that suffering can be afflicted on us by spiritual forces of evil, but that God is able to use these things for our good and the well-being of the body of Christ.  Rejoice in the grace and strength of God that are available to us because of the work of Jesus on our behalf.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 54:1-17

1 Timothy 2:11-15

1 Timothy 2:1-7