2 Corinthians 12:11-21

                                                             2 Corinthians 12:11-21

I have been a fool! You forced me to it, for I ought to have been commended by you. For I was not at all inferior to these super-apostles, even though I am nothing.  The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with utmost patience, with signs and wonders and mighty works.  For in what were you less favored than the rest of the churches, except that I myself did not burden you? Forgive me this wrong!  Here for the third time I am ready to come to you. And I will not be a burden, for I seek not what is yours but you. For children are not obligated to save up for their parents, but parents for their children.  I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls. If I love you more, am I to be loved less?  But granting that I myself did not burden you, I was crafty, you say, and got the better of you by deceit.  Did I take advantage of you through any of those whom I sent to you?  I urged Titus to go, and sent the brother with him. Did Titus take advantage of you? Did we not act in the same spirit? Did we not take the same steps?  Have you been thinking all along that we have been defending ourselves to you? It is in the sight of God that we have been speaking in Christ, and all for your upbuilding, beloved.  For I fear that perhaps when I come I may find you not as I wish, and that you may find me not as you wish—that perhaps there may be quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder.  I fear that when I come again my God may humble me before you, and I may have to mourn over many of those who sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality that they have practiced.

It is a hard thing to watch people you love make bad decisions.  We strive to protect the people we love as best we can.  This is especially true for our children.  We stand ready to sacrifice all we can to help the people we love the most.  Paul sees the church in Corinth as his children in the faith.  It had to have been painful for him to see them struggling especially since they were turning their backs on him.  Every parent remembers when their kids are embarrassed by them in front of their friends.  Paul is feeling this with his spiritual children.

 

PAUL DEFENDS HIS MINISTRY: It had to have been hard for Paul to feel the need to defend himself before the church in Corinth.  In his mind, the church should have stood up for him and not given ear to the false teachings and accusations of those Paul calls “super-apostles.”  Paul reminds them that while he was with them, he demonstrated all the signs of a true apostle.  He taught the Gospel according to the Scripture, he performed miracles, he was patient with them and was confronted their sin with authority.  There was no legitimate reason for them to now be questioning his authority.  The other churches in the region were not requiring the same type of confrontation.  It is not easy to stand up for oneself.  However, in the face of false teachings, it is absolutely necessary.

 

PAUL DENIES TAKING ADVANTAGE: Paul points out that the only thing that he had done differently amongst the church in Corinth was that he did not accept any financial help from them for his own support.  Apparently, this stands in stark contrast to the super-apostles who were very likely demanding that they be paid for their ministries.  Paul reminds them that neither he nor Titus or any of his other associates had done anything to take advantage of the church.  However, they were quick to forget this honesty and generosity and were falling for the teachings of people who were looking to promote their own gain and agenda.  Paul has a clear conscience before God and is only defending himself now as a means of showing love for the church to call them back to the Lord.

 

PAUL DESCRIBES HIS FEARS: Paul is defending himself and even going so far as to boast about what God has accomplished through him because of his fears for the church’s well-being.  He fears that they will fall back into the immoral lifestyle that was so prevalent in the culture.  However, besides the unrepentant impurity, Paul feared that they would be marked by pride, division, gossip, and hostility towards one another.  So much progress had been made in the church because of Paul’s courageous confrontation.  However, none of that was easy for Paul or for the church.  Paul is pleading for them to turn back to the truth, so he does not have to return to them with yet another visit for the purpose of discipline.  Building unity and purity in a pagan culture is not easy and it may be even harder to maintain. 

 

APPLICATION: In the face of false teachings, we must be willing to do that which is uncomfortable, even to the point of boasting, in an effort to protect the integrity of the church.  It is not wrong to receive money for doing ministry, but that must never be the motivation behind doing this ministry.  Faithfully warn others of the consequences of disobedience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 54:1-17

1 Timothy 2:11-15

1 Timothy 2:1-7