Matthew 20:17-34

Expectations can be dangerous. Jesus was always doing and saying the unexpected. Too often we plan, dream and anticipate only to become disappointed or discouraged when things don't turn out quite the way we had imagined. None of what Christ does or says in this passage should be a surprise to the disciples because none of it is new. Yet, it seems to catch them off guard. I wonder how often I am so slow to learn? How often do I create expectations that are not biblical? How often do I forget to apply the clear revelation of God's Word to my life each day?

CHRIST PREDICTS HIS SUFFERING. The disciples were still expecting a kingdom. They thought that they were going to be part of a revolution and were slow to understand that there must first be a crucifixion. It is not as if Christ had not told them this repeatedly, it is just that this information did not jive with their ideas and desires. Even though it is what was best for them, in that it would provide for their eternal salvation, it is not what they wanted to hear. I wonder how often I expect the blessings of God in my life but become disappointed when suffering comes? Why do I desire to be conformed to the image of Christ yet recoil in times of trial? God has clearly taught and exemplified that following Him is not just about blessing and resurrection, but is also marked by suffering and crucifixion.

CHRIST PROMOTES SUBMITTING. I have to think that James and John took some ribbing from their buddies after sending their mommy to ask Jesus for special authority in the kingdom. However, secretly, they were all wanting the same thing. They expected that their positions would be ones of power and prestige. They expected that they would be able to sit on thrones and have servants at their beck and call. Christ had never used His power to promote Himself or to force others into submitting to Him. But the disciples were living by their expectations and not by Christ's example. Jesus told them that they needed to submit themselves and set their ambitions aside and follow the example he had set. How often do I expect others to do as I want them to, or follow the directions that I desire. Why do I assume that others should submit to my agenda, instead of giving of myself to help someone else attain their goals? Christ repeatedly demonstrated His willingness to interrupt His schedule in order to serve others.

CHRIST PRACTICES SERVING. There is nothing better than someone who practices what he preaches. As Christ was walking with the multitude in the general direction of the cross, His journey is interrupted by the cries of two desperate blind men. The crowd expected Jesus to ignore their cries and told the men that this great man could not be bothered with their petty problems. Have you ever noticed how other peoples problems seem small and how your own seem so large? I think we call that selfishness. Jesus does what the crowd does not expect but what He has consistently done throughout His ministry; He heals them. Serving others and meeting their needs was the example Christ set for each of us. How easy it is for me to get so wrapped up in my projects and goals that I fail to serve others. Christ was not too busy saving the souls of men to stop and serve them along the way.

Comments

  1. I LOVE that last line. I feel like I need to post it somewhere where I'll see it a lot to remind me that as I go about the duties of the day, I should never be too busy to serve others in every way I can. Good thoughts Dad - I love reading them every night and they are such a source of encouragement and motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shae,
    I am so glad that they are an encouragement to you. Thanks for taking the time to read them. It is far too easy to get so wrapped up in "things" that we have no time to love and serve people. May God protect our hearts from such temporal living.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 54:1-17

1 Timothy 2:11-15

1 Timothy 1:1-2