Matthew 4:1-11

I would like to take this opportunity to say what I do not want to say. Typically a discussion on a passage such as this will include these two question: "Was Christ able not to sin?" or "Was Christ not able to sin?" As you read these questions, you have likely heard long and sometimes heated debates that focus on the divine and human nature of the incarnate Christ. Let me be clear, I don't want to get into that here. It is not that I think these theological debates are not valid or helpful. It is just that my goal is to glean some practical truths from each passage and not try to do an exhaustive study.

As a rule on this and most theological debates of this nature I strive for balance and humility. By that I mean that I do not hold dogmatically to one side or the other but strive to see the truth expressed on both sides of the issue. When those truths seem to be contradictory or paradoxical in my mind I strive to humbly admit that the problem is with my mind and not with God. I believe we do God and His Word an injustice when we try to cram Him into theological boxes in which He simply does not fit. I share this now because we are sure to encounter many similar questions as we journey through God's Word. When we do, I will very likely not even mention it. Maybe next year we can do a debate blog but this year I want to do a devotional blog sooo... "I makea da bloga, I makea da rulesa." : )

I have read many commentaries and heard many sermons that point out that Satan is very astute and waited until Christ was vulnerable after having fasted for 40 days to tempt Him with fresh baked bread. (Is anything in the world more tempting than that smell?) However, I think that it is interesting that the Spirit was ministering to Christ during all of this time which would have made Christ, at least spiritually, less vulnerable. (If that is theologically possible... see paragraphs above.) So whether Christ was physically weak and spiritual strong or not at the time of the temptations, I believe it is valid for us to understand two lessons. First, BEWARE because Satan not only knows how to tempt but when to tempt so we must be ever vigilant. Second, PREPARE if we are going to be victorious in times of temptations we must always be ready and not let down our guard, shift into neutral or try to spiritually coast.

Now to the temptations. I think that the first temptation was in the area of PLEASURE. Jesus was hungry and Satan tempted Him to prove He was God's Son by making food. Jesus preferred the WORD of God. In life, it is hard to choose what God says over what we want. I usually want comfort, amusement and excitement. God calls us to suffering, discipline and dedication. May God strengthen our character so that we might follow the path of His Word and not the pleasures of our flesh.

The second temptation was about PRIDE. "Prove you are God's Son and jump off the building." "If God will keep His Word He will have to send angels swooping down to catch you." How cool would that have been? And in public no less. Jesus preferred the WISDOM of God. He knew that God was faithful without having to prove it by jumping off of buildings. The issue is trust. The children of Israel always wanted a sign of God's faithfulness: "seeing is believing". May God allow us to trust Him without testing Him.

The third temptation was about POWER. Satan apparently had the authority to offer Jesus this position of power. It certainly would have been more enjoyable than the cross that the Father had offered. Jesus preferred the WORSHIP of God. It might be enjoyable and easy to set our affections on the myriad of false idols this world has to offer. That path may lead to great wealth and/or recognition on earth but it will be disastrous in eternity. May God give us the grace and joy of worshiping Him and Him alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isaiah 54:1-17

1 Timothy 2:11-15

1 Timothy 1:1-2